|Ranky Tank. Photo courtesy the artists.|
By Danny Kapilian
Way back on June 15, 1995, the BAM R&B Festival at MetroTech opened with the great Percy Sledge:
“When a man loves a woman
Can’t keep his mind on nothing else
He’ll trade the globe
For the not bad thing he’s found”
Those universal words of love are where our journey began—in addition to at This particular point, 240 live performances later, the BAM R&B Festival has sustained of which musical message of love with the same deep soul throughout.
Here are some of the amazing artists who have presented their distinct talents in addition to varying styles on our stage over the past 24 years:
- The Cadillacs, The Manhattans, The Coasters (doo-wop)
- Ronnie Spector, The Shangri-Las, Martha in addition to the Vandellas (early girl groups)
- Bobby Blue Bland, Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, Sam Moore (classic 60s soul)
- Ruth Brown, Lavern Baker (1950s divas)
- The Stylistics, The Delfonics, The Main Ingredient (70s vocal harmony groups)
- Bo Diddley, Booker T in addition to the MGs, Los Lobos (rock legends)
- The Staple Singers, Erica Campbell (crossover gospel stars)
- Little Anthony in addition to the Imperials, War (hit machines spanning generations)
- Dr. John, Irma Thomas, The Meters, The Neville Brothers (fresh Orleans)
- Fontella Bass, Darlene Love, Jennifer Holiday, Sharon Jones (fabulous divas)
- Maceo Parker, P-Funk, the Brothers Johnson, the Ohio Players (funk pioneers)
- Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff, Steel Pulse, Toots in addition to the Maytals (reggae stars)
- Eddie Palmieri, Septeto Santiaguero, La India (latin jazz)
- Angelique Kidjo, Salif Keita, King Sunny Adé, Amadou in addition to Mariam (African stars)
- Floetry, Al B. Sure, Jose James, Robert Glasper (hip-hop/jazz)
- Ashford in addition to Simpson, Allen Toussaint, William Bell (songwriting legends)
- Odetta, Richie Havens, Phoebe Snow (folk)
- Roy Hargrove, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Snarky Puppy, Lizz Wright (fresh jazz)
- John Hammond, Robert Cray (blues)
- Tank in addition to the Bangas, Aloe Blacc, Sinkane, Andra Day (fresh soul stars)
|Quiana Lynell. Photo: Colligans|
Pretty fantastic, right?
When I begin the process of laying out who the artists will be for a coming season, sometimes a combination of not bad luck in addition to timing works out in addition to we get the lineup I was going after. the item’s a different dynamic story arc each year. Frequently the availability of great performers is usually a moving target, nevertheless not bad creative work in addition to not bad fortune eventually combine to deliver a great lineup of which takes us to unexpected places. This particular is usually one of those adventurous years where we are stepping into some thrilling fresh musical territory.
Four of our star artists This particular summer live where R&B in addition to jazz combine to create something totally fresh. Legendary tap dancing star Savion Glover presents a duo performance with the brilliant young jazz drummer Marcus Gilmore (Herbie Hancock, Nicholas Payton). Terri Lyne Carrington is usually a three-time Grammy-winning drummer who’s bridged the music of Dianne Reeves, Esperanza Spalding, in addition to Valerie Simpson. Terence Blanchard is usually a Grammy-winning trumpeter, in addition to has scored many films by Spike Lee. Marcus Miller is usually a legendary virtuoso multi-instrumentalist who has performed in addition to recorded with Miles Davis, Roberta Flack, in addition to many additional greats.
We’ll open on June 7th celebrating Bernard Purdie (aka “Pretty Purdie”). The most recorded drummer in pop history created the Purdie Shuffle—a distinct beat featured on hundreds of top-selling hits through the 1960s to today. You’ve heard him on classic recordings with Aretha Franklin (musical director through 1970—75), in addition to Steely Dan (“Home At Last”, “Babylon Sisters”). The acclaimed fresh singer Quiana Lynell will perform songs through throughout Purdie’s amazing career, using a set in addition to guest appearance by Grammy-winning jazz flutist Bobbi Humphrey—both accompanied by Purdie’s tremendous supporting band.
The rest of the summer has Vivian Green bringing her great contemporary soul hits, PJ Morton delivering his original pop-R&B through fresh Orleans, in addition to fresh artists Delgres, Ranky Tanky, in addition to Jupiter & Okwess presenting their distinct fresh styles through France, South Carolina, in addition to Congo, respectively.
the item’s so rewarding to bring these artists every year to perform in Downtown Brooklyn. We’ll be at MetroTech Plaza every Thursday at 12 noon through June 7 through August 9. Like the song says, “everyone’s a winner, baby, of which’s the truth.”
Join us at the BAM R&B Festival at MetroTech This particular summer every Thursday through Jun 7—Aug 9.
Danny Kapilian is usually the producer of BAM R&B at MetroTech.
© 2018 Brooklyn Academy of Music, Inc. All rights reserved.